View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
BullittSVT

For subs and amps look on craigslist for deals, audio there is cheap as dirt so you can pick up a real nice system for cheaper than you think.

For subs, my personal experience and that of other people is.. don't go with cheap brands. You'll hear the difference, especially the more power you go. I'd rather spend a little more than listen to **** from pyles or some other chinese crap box company, it sounds punchy.. not clean and overall unpleasent. I'm very happy with my Alpine Type R mounted to a gigantic bazooka monoblock amp cranking out plenty of power to let that guy rattle your car. If you don't plan on upgrading your speakers (and amp for said speakers), don't get a sub.. you really won't hear much over the bass unless you get some weak sub (but hey, who wants a little bit of bass anyway?).

Speaker choices! Well.. there are only a few companies out there that provide good speakers that'll work decent with no amp, alpine isn't bad, I really like my kenwoods (then again I have the monsoon amp helping and even then it doesnt put out enough). Polk makes a good product, JL sounds great but they're pricey (includes there subs).

Here's my list of some big companies in order that I like them.

Alpine (their budget speakers are okay but it's their top tier that really sounds great, not big on the low's though)

Kenwood (they're not the best speaker company but they perform damn well and have an attractive price range. I have one of their headunits and several speakers from them, very satisfied)

Polk (Again like Kenwood, sound good and are priced right. My brother had some of these in his jeep mounted to his head unit and they were still loud)

Infinity (Have had pleasent results, good sound quality.. can get a little pricey, they can get distorted if you crank them high without an amp)

JL (Expensive but sounds amazing, have not owned any)

Kicker (although I haven't had one of their products, they still sit right with me when I go into my buddies car, decent prices too)

I wouldn't put anything else but these in my cars, you can keep your Sony's, pioneers etc..

These are my current ones
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Kfc-P7...onent+speakers

Great highs, good mids, lacking on the lows but again I have a sub. I also like them paired with my monsoon 4", those suckers can scream!

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPS-610...=alpine+type+s

These were not bad when I put them in my buddies car, not sure how they'll perform without an amp.

So what're you looking for? Loud? Sound quality? How much is in your budget?

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9

1998 Camaro, 3.8L M5 Stock - SOLD
2001 Camaro Z28 M6 SLP LM1, Lid
- FOR SALE

Last edited by BullittSVT; 10-22-2012 at 01:24 PM.
BullittSVT is offline   Reply With Quote