View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Thanks for the bump. I have done a LOT to the truck since the last post. I forgot to update the thread, unfortunately I don't have many pictures to add, I just went through my phone and I don't take a lot of progress pictures. I have been daily driving the Suburban since my 92 Firebird crapped out a water pump gasket and I took the ENTIRE car apart.

I have put in an AAW classic update wiring harness, a Dakota Digital VHX cluster, GPS speedo, DD cruise control, my keyless approach alarm system, Alpine head unit and Sirius radio from my Firebird since I have lifetime subscription on that Sirius unit. I got the radio bezel from the guy on the board here, it cleaned up the opening a lot since someone hacked the opening to put a factory style radio in it, friggin moron. I may wind up putting in a double din head unit instead of replacing the dash with the non-cut one that I got with the Burb, time will tell, but I like gadgets that aren't critical.

New dash pad, carpet dash cover since the dash is really ugly. New vents

I installed my Holley TBI injection and a 40 gallon tank from (I think) an 88 Suburban with an in-tank fuel pump. I put in hard stainless fuel lines with the flexible lines braided stainless over Teflon for longevity. I punctured and fixed the radiator taking the front clip back on, DOH! All the carpet is in, but it isn't finished because I have to make the interior panels still and finish the vibration and sound treatment inside the quarter panels, I only finished one side before my car needed work, plus all the rat poop/pee in the quarters needed to be cleaned and started to smell again when I got it wet, so I need to re-visit the RH quarter with some tub and tile cleaner or something better than the Simple green. I also welded in the heater delete plate from Porterbuilt and installed my Classic Auto Air heater box. I did the weather strip on the 3rd door and the passenger side door, welded the other mirror holes in the pass door and vibration treated and rust prevention treated the inside of the door along with the "4th" door quarter area. I will have to pull the 3rd door apart again and scrape all the factory vibration treatment and then do my vibration and rust prevention treatment at a later time.
Just last night I installed an overflow for the cooling system since the radiator was low on fluid , so I think it has been puking it out here and there. I don't have a fan shroud, so it may overheat slightly in traffic, but very slowly because I don't smell coolant out the exhaust and there are no drips.
I put in a new wiper motor from New Port Engineering. I bought the delay module for it, but it will require a slight modification to the dash to install since the module is so large, so that will need to be re-visited.
I put an LED light in the back of the cab and a push switch that is opened by the tailgate, so when I open the tail gate the light comes on. I also wired in a manual switch so I can use it inside with the gate closed. I recently realized i need to put in a cut off switch, so I can turn off the light when I have the gate open for extended periods. It hasn't been a big deal
I also made my own headliner panels. I am not happy with the outcome, only because I am an overachiever. There are some places it didn't come out so well, but I only had the front panel to work with. That one came out OK, as did the rear most panel, it is mostly the middle panel that I hate, lol. Now that I am mostly done with it I learn we can buy headliner kits for the Burb, I may wind up doing that but I am going to see if I can get some of the waviness out of the spots and cover them since i already have the fabric. The "bow is an aluminum strip that I bent, so that is flat and the plastic doesn't sit right once I put the screws in place to hold it up. If I put longer screws in, that may solve the problem. You can see my vibration treatment through the panels. When I pull them back out for covering I am also going to stuff the entire cavity with Thinsulate, I bought like 100 yards of the 3/4 or 1".

A note on the AAW harness. They don't sell one specifically for the Suburban and I already had the kit that I was going to put in the truck, but since this needed it sooner I decided to use it. Everything went well, but the rear tail light harness needs more wire for the Suburban. I called AAW and got more wire and pins and I re-used all my connectors for the tail lights, they are different connectors than the truck and I wanted to have it be functionally the same as it should be. The major difference being that the reverse light on the burb is clipped onto the socket and uses a flat connector, where the truck the wire is "part of" the socket and uses a round connector.

I also have some more things to add to the Suburban when I have time. I got a set of seats from an 07 Cadillac Escalade with the heat and ventilation. I have not gotten them in because the Drivers seat is computer controlled for the memory. I recently found the wiring schematics and figured out how to make the position and lumbar controls manual. I had to get some special connector pins for the one motor controls, the other pins are just Delphi. I can post the details once I get into that. It looks like i have to take a good portion of the seat apart to get to some of the wiring. I plan on doing this as soon as I can because I hate the bench seat from these years, it hurts my ass sitting in it for long periods of time because of the seat frame.
I also have the GSI Billet handles to put on, but am waiting for their alignment washers to install in my 69, since they modeled them on the 67 door handle.
I bought some heated wipers, but that was going to be a pain to put on in the time frame I had available, so I will revisit that when I paint it most likely.
I plan on putting in power door locks with an automatic door locker module from Dakota digital, and their retained accessory module with automatic headlights/running lights. I have an inverter that I am going to install in one of the quarters and put an outlet in the panel once I make them. I also bought a 71/72 Bumper and I am mounting fog lights in the turn signal spots.

My other major project will be converting this to 4x4. I bought an 88 K30 over the summer last year for the axles and round pattern 205 transfer case. I have a C15 frame with rear leaf springs that I got with my truck bed, I plan on using that under this body, but if I find a C/K30 frame by then, I may just use that instead.

PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote