View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #60
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Trans Am WS6 View Post
Justin- How big is the lift? Nothing has changed in regards to a PIF being able to inspect modified suspensions. Just keep in mind the super gray areas of MVC law. I believe over 4? inches of lift is the point you are required to go to a special state facility to do a tilt test in addition to the standard inspection. You don't see it to often but thee vehicles get two stickers, a standard one and a second for the tilt test. This is funny because technically ANYTHING that modifies a vehicle from factory is grounds for failure(according to the PIF manual, not reality) This includes suspension, engine parts, CARB extempt stuff, its all technically grounds for failure. With that being said, no bro whatever shop used to do your inspections should still be able to do them.
Thanks Joe. My Jeep currently has an out-of-date sticker from a private shop on it (was inspected the month before I bought it). When I inquired at a few local places, I was told that private shops were not allowed to inspect lifted trucks at all, regardless of the amount of lift. I was told it was because they only wanted state facilities measuring lift to see if a tilt test was required. My Jeep has an approx. 3.5" suspension lift and I run a 31" tire as opposed to the stock 28.3" tire, so according to the math it should be tilt tested, but when I measure out body height over stock (at the rocker) it's about 3.75" over stock, so should be able to go through normal inspection....I'd just rather not let a state facility nitpick it to death if I could take it to a private shop and have it inspected there.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote