View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
quickkris2006

86 TRANS AM LQ4 l92 with 76mm turbo swap!

OLD THREAD UPDATED.. GO TO PAGE 3 FOR NEW UPDATES!!

ok guys well i have finally did enough work and taken enough pics to be able to start my own rebuild thread. first let me start off with the basics my names Kris, im currently 22 years old, i live in jackson nj and ive loved third gens as long as i can remember ive own 3 myself.. first was a 84 berlinetta then was a 87 z28 and now my 91 rs vert.. i love my vert but man do i miss my ttops, im leaving for the military in april of 2011 for basic training im going in to the army and want to have my camaro up and running under its own power b4 i leave since when i get back from basic i have only about 2 to 3 weeks to pack up and leave and cant be towing around a car.. anyway here is my current rebuild of my 91 vert. i already have the motor and trans pulled, im currently working on cleaning up my engine bay and underbody. im picking up my lt1 parts car soon. its a 93 trans am i plan on using everything i can from the car..

As my car sits not it has no motor or trans or interior, im in the process of cleaning up the engine bay and preping the under body for coating. going to use a truck bed liner, makes it look brand spanking new. i figured if im ganna do it once might as well do it right the first time.. no i know everything isnt going to be 100% perfect just keep in mind im working on a VERY VERY STRICT BUDGET, and i will fix things that i missed or "mess up on" later after camp, like i said i just want it moving under its own power before i leave for basic..

so far as of 10/23/10 i have removed the engine harness, dash, ac, interior, trans, engine,

here are some pics

my work space which is a storage unit

as for progress i have so far completly taken out all the wiring only wires left on the car are the wires runing from door to do for the power windows locks and mirrors.. all seam sealer has been removed and seams wire wheeled down to bare metal and primed. i have started wire wheeling the k member and from frame rails.. i still need to get the rear and as tank out and finish the underbody cleaning for the coating.. im going to be picking up my donor car hopefully by the 18th of this month.. after that i get to strip that down and get the motor ready to be put in.. new gaskets from the heads up and new oil pan gasket and what not.. i wanna paint my intake blue.. since everyone is either running red,black, or stock alumi.. i wanna to stand out a lil bit.. and my car is ganna be blue to so i figured with the bay black and the intake and valve covers blue it would look good..

ok well here is where the fun starts guys. i drove out with my dad and best friend friday night to butler pa, for those of u that dont know that is right about pittsburg pa which is pretty much on the ohio boader compared to where i live on the jersey shore.. it took 8hrs to get there and 4hrs to load the car up and 9hrs to get back home, we did this 21 hr trip over night getting back saturday night.. and of course there was snow.. which is why it took 4 hrs to get it on the trailer. dads truck even got stuck in a ditch trying to turn around with the trailer.. anyway here is what this long trip got me..

its a 93 trans am LT1 4l60e disk rear.. and this car was HIT HARD.. amazingly the motor is still fine.. we got it home and pushed my camaro vert out into the cold.. the snow is comming soon and i have 1 week to get the trans am stripped down and out of my way to get the vert back in the garage seeing that it has never seen snow i dont want it to start now.. specially since its stripped down and the roof is not up and its covered in parts so there will be alot of updates comming so stay tuned im ganna try and document this swap as well as possible since there arrent that many well documented lt1 swaps on here that i have found.. this will also be printed up and saved in a photo book along with all the pics i take for me when im in my 80s and wanna feel like a kid again lol

got some work done now!!! i had a few hrs before i had to be to work on sunday and got some of the front end torn appart. got the whole car up in the air on jack stands got what was left of the front bumper off which actually was more then expected it was crushed up under the front of the car.. and some more of the no good parts off .. its alot easyier to remover body panels when there no good anymore prybars and hammers make a quick job of the fenders saved lots of time..

i got my first good look at her and here it is.. 89k miles =) not that u guys dont already know what it looks like lol

as for tomorrow i have off work.. and i get to put my new air compressor to work with my air tools i plan on having the motor out by tomorow afternoon.. and be working on the interior also.. would like to have the dash out so i can start to tackle my wiring on wensday.. im ganna need a new alternarter seeing that the housing is cracked found out my ps pump pully is bad so im ganna need another one of them and an ac delete pully..

i know that the 1 side motor mount on my 3rd gen vert has to be switched.. can i use the one from the trans am?

im trying to have this t/a stripped down by friday.. snow is comming then and with my vert ouside im not happy.. so this is going to be a very quick but very carefull pull..

as i was leaving my garage area i was turning my truck around and looked at my camaro and just had to take a picture

Last edited by quickkris2006; 04-18-2012 at 11:37 PM.
quickkris2006 is offline   Reply With Quote