View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Paul Huryk

Installing power amp - uncovered a wiring nightmare...

I picked up an Alpine 4 channel amp to add a sub and more front speaker power in the GTA. I've done about 15 of these cars, so being a perfectionist is not such a hard thing to do.

But as I was under the driver's dash to run the power wire through the firewall, I found a mess of alarm spaghetti that is both scary and impressive at the same time - not to mention a whole bunch of additional dead wires under the hood.

The wire nest includes every sensor known to man (at least back in 1989) - shock, ignition kill, pager module (quite useful today), radar sensor, and even a glass sensor - probably $750 back then for the sucker.

When i bought the car, the previous owner mentioned that there was an alarm and it was non functional (he gave me the brain in a glad bag). Never had any problems with the car - everything electrical works well, no problems so far.

Question - should I spent the time to disconnect the sucker and reattach any cut OEM wiring back to stock, or should I leave it alone?

I'd hate to have electrical problems, although I'm sure the remaining attached components are energized and if they crap out, the car is going to give me problems.