Thread: 1971 Firebird
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #23
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Another note - you might not want to sell or trash any parts until you are done with your project.

Take a lot of pics, tag & bag all bolts. Too many is better than not enouhg - a bag for each fender & shims, etc.

Go to year one and order service & assembly manuals. The code "NASTY15" will get you 15% off online puircahses, courtesy of nastyZ28. Best buy you will make for your project.
Baggin each thing is good advice if you plan on doing a resto. Just buy a lot of Zip loc bags and get some permanent markers. If you dont care too much about factory resto then it wont matter. I just throw all of them in to a coffee can or what ever. I plan on replacing a lot of them with stainless where I can and then (for camaro at least) they have a master bolt kit you can buy. Its like $200 for the RS kit.

I wouldnt buy too much from year one as they are already overpriced so 15% off overpriced is about what it should be but you can shop for better prices.

What is the code and name for the original color?

Also I would recommend taking the front suspension apart with the sub frame still on the car and the engine in the cradle. My cousin recommended that at the very least you do the a-arms with the engine in the cradle so if you pop a ball joint the frame doesnt flip over. May not happen but that engine weight will work in your favor.

Also FYI it looks like your floor is very close to my 71RS so if you cant find a floor pan for the 'bird you may be able to get the camaro one to work if you are not going to patch and want to replace. I need a LH side floor, if you need/want I can try to take detailed pictures and measurements on mine so you can see if yours is close

Last edited by PolarBear; 12-30-2008 at 03:08 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote