Thread: Help Me Vent
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 06:36 AM   #19
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

This dude laid some knowledge on me...

what is your use for this engine? Race only? Do you want positive crankcase ventilation (ie vacuum applied) like a street car? Are you in a state where this car needs to pass an emissions check?

If I read your plan right, I think it's going to cause huge problems.

The port on the throttle body itself is for clean air to go into the crankcase. I consider it "high pressure" for simplicity sake (but that's not actually true, it just makes it easy to think about).

You have breather filters on both valve covers and those are going to release crankcase pressure right out to the engine bay/atmosphere. They will also allow air in if there is a vacuum applied, and this will be a problem also. If you want PCV, you'll have to put solid caps on these positions or do something else, see below.

For PCV, you need a "closed" system. Air can not escape out of the crankcase on it own. Some clean air from the thottle body goes into the crank case and then the intake manifold vacuum draws the same amount back out, so the MAF does not lose or gain any air from unmetered sources.

What you proposed (I think) seems to maybe pull some crankcase air, but because of the valve cover breathers, you'll be pulling outside air into the engine, and into the intake manifold, but the MAF hasn't seen it. It's like a huge intake vacuum leak, or running at WOT even with the throttle close.

If you don't want PCV, you can leave the breathers, and also put caps on all the other locations too, and you're done. You don't need a can.

If you do want PCV, I'd suggest:
-Run a hose from silver thottle body tube to one of the barbs on the driver side valve cover. This "clean air" supply will push air into the crankcase. (Not really push, but for simplicity sake)
-Run a hose from the other driver side valve cover hose to the passenger side valve cover. Remove the breather and get an L fitting thing to stick into the hole like stock engines have. This also allows some air to circulate to the passenger valve side.
-Run a hose from the LS6 valley cover tube to the "intake" side of your catch can. The LS6 valley cover has its own oil separator built in and will help remove some oil from the air. Do not use this as an air input area.
-Run a hose from the catch can "output" to one of the ports on the intake manifold right behind the throttle body. This is your vacuum source which "pulls" air out of the crankcase, through the can.
-Put a plug on the other intake manifold port behind the throttle body. Stock LS1/6 manifolds only have 1 port, yours has 2 for some reason.
-Remove the breather filter from the driver side oil fill hole and put a normal oil cap that seals all the way.
-Put brake booster hose on back of intake manifold.
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote