View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
GhostDakota

My LS1 Trans Am Projector & HID Conversion Thread

Hey all,

So I'm huge into lighting and have been for years. I did projectors and HID's in my last F-body (93 Z28):
http://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance...installed.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance...ogs-match.html

I have 'em in my motorcycle, my Jeep, many past Jeeps, etc. Lighting is HUGE to me as I like to see the road (or trail) ahead of me, especially when going fast.

I just ordered some Hella Projectors through my work:
2 HELLA PROJECTOR 60MM HB3 SAE LOW BEAM 998570001
2 HELLA PROJECTOR 60MM HB3 SAE HIGH BEAM 998570021

They should be here next week. I'll update the thread with photos and info as the conversion progresses.

This is my car with my g/f posing (it was freezing btw):

Parking lot (cell phone) shot of before:

UPS brought me some presents today

Bulbs, ballasts, wiring should be here by Friday or early next week.

EDIT:
Okay, got bored today after work and decided that I REALLY hate my factory headlights. So, I did an install of the low beam projectors and HID's. I have brackets that I will be ordering for the lows and highs to take care of proper mounting and aesthetics. But, for this moment, I am very happy with the outcome of these (output, not looks). I still need to aim them, still need to get the high beams back in, etc. But this is good for the moment. I'll edit this all later with specific info, but here are the photos I took during the install:

Okay, the uptick of the cutoff is really bugging me out. I'm going to take these apart this weekend and adjust the cutoff. I want it flatter like my MH1's. Comparison...

Morimoto MH1 in my Jeep:

Hella 60mm in my Trans Am:

Once I modify the cutoff shield I'll take new cutoff photos as well as ground shots. My brackets for the final mounting should be here this week or early next week. That will clean up everything for the high and low and make it look like a stock setup!
-2003 VW Golf TDI - Turbo diesel @ 50 MPG highway
-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L(ZJ) - 4.75" lift, 32" MTZ's, armor, etc.

Last edited by GhostDakota; 12-13-2011 at 01:02 PM.
GhostDakota is offline   Reply With Quote