View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #26
KevinW

So 1st gen prices started really going nuts when Barrett Jackson auctions started being televised. Now everyone thinks they have a gold mine. But since the number of project cars has decreased, so finding a good one for a decent price is a real challenge. The equation of buying a car mostly done versus a "start from scratch car" is all about the wallet and how much work can you do yourself. As well as how long to you want to wait for a done car.

I too am part of the problem I have had a 69 shell for 34 years and even though there is no rust, there is still a lot of welding work to be done. But I would not let it go for less than $10K at this point. Maybe my widow will sell it cheaper

Take a look at the decent build shows (Bitching rides comes to mind, but there are a few more with less scripting). The amount of work these shops do at regular rates, must be in the $50K to $90K for a done car. Lots of hours spent! All those cars must be way underwater! We see a lot of them at BJ (Announcer voice) "over $100,000 spent on the resto, but car goes for $50,000", huh??? Somebody is loosing money big time, or outright lying.

So it is all up to you to decide which route you want to go and educate yourself on what is out there. If you want a done car, start looking at the clones. Hopefully you can find one in your budget with a crappy engine and trans to knock the price down.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote