View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
IROC-MIKE

Blue Maxi Jerry Schmidt Memorial Chatterbox Cruise 7/8

I wish I was organizing this cruise to the Chatterbox under happier circumstances, but as I posted earlier this year I offered to organize rallies to several large venues this season. Sadly, for those of you who have not heard, the Camaro Community has lost one of its earliest members on Tuesday June 6 who peacefully passed away in his sleep at the age of 76. We can only hope he was dreaming of driving his car when he left this life, and his warm and joyful personality will surely be missed. Jerry was the proud owner of the Blue Maxi 69 Camaro Z/29 made famous by Car & Driver Magazine (Cover July 69 & Feature Road Test Aug 69) and owned it since 1971 making him one a member of an elite club of the few people with continual ownership history of the same car that dates back almost to the birth of the Camaro. How many people have a 67-69 they owned since new, and Jerry still drove the car weekly to cruises and shows throughout the North Jersey area and was as much a historian as an enthusiast. His knowledge of the First Generation Camaro was encyclopedic partly gained from his years as a mechanic at Chevrolet Dealerships back to the 1960s so it can be said without dispute Jerry was the Real Deal. Jerry was a good friend to me and everyone who met him, so in his honor I am organizing a rally to the Chatterbox on Saturday July 8. It just so happened that Jerry and I were recently discussing this trip as we did not want to take the cars very far before the Nationals, and coincidentally his family called me this morning with that date for their service so I took it as a sign that Jerry wants the cruise to still happen.
For those of you would like to pay your respects to his family I welcome ALL who wish to come to an INFORMAL gathering at the Marrocco Memorial Chapel in Clifton NJ 11am to noon. http://www.marroccos.com/contact-us/...and-directions
Jerry was a casual guy so come dressed as you would attend a car event because I'll be wearing driving shoes and a Camaro shirt just as he always saw me.
We will leave directly from the funeral home and drive to the Chatterbox in Agusta, NJ which is about a 45 minute ride. I will be posting the route as soon as possible so we can continue to pick up members along the way. I would like this to be a memorable ride for his family and those who come along as it will be Jerrys last rally (his ashes will be riding shotgun), so PLEASE PASS THIS ON and lets get as many cars as possible!
Jerry's Blue Maxi and my Fellows Sunoco Camaro were accepted to the Chevrolet Nationals Invitational @ Carlisle on June 23-25 and his family graciously supported his wishes to be there and is allowing me to take his car so it can be seen as we had planned. If you will be at that event PLEASE stop by the T Building and see the Blue Maxi for its first National Event in nearly 20 years!

Last edited by IROC-MIKE; 06-16-2017 at 02:07 PM.
IROC-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote