View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

Bought my WS6 on ebay, why not try for another car?

Worst decision of my life. TLDR and video of an issue at the end.

My father sends me a link to a 2007 Outback on eBay. It has 225k miles, no reserve. Ok, maybe head gaskets, timing belt, transmission, etc.? I ask the seller and he says 0 issues. See the description here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Subaru-...-/201828318921

Looks like a great car. High miles, but if its got no issues then whatever, its a car!

I bid $2500 and win the auction for $2300. Hooray.

I immediately put the deposit down and wait for more information about the seller and where to pick up. He takes forever in his replies, and will NOT give me a phone number or location of the car ever. I run a Carfax, it is clean. This quells my worries a little bit. I pay him full and send the money so I can get the title.

I get the title, and notice the package came from Florida, not from PA (where car is from). Odd... maybe he’s on vacation right now? Whatever, title is mine. I noticed the name on the Title doesn’t match the return address. Let’s say Bob is the title name, and Luc is the name on the return address.

Luc FINALLY gives me a phone # and name (which I already knew) of where to pick the car up. Again, this is almost 4 days after I paid in full. I talk to Bob about the car and eBay comes up. Bob says “You got this car on eBay, I thought you were his friend”

I say, “Nope, bought it on eBay for $2300.”
He says, “I sold it to him for $1700, he never came to look at the car or anything. He said he was going to send a truck to bring it to Florida, then he said a friend was going to get it.”

I talk more to Bob and he tells me he got the car from his neighbor who recently upgraded to a new Subaru. He drove it around his development, as Bob lives in the lumber section in PA, lots of gravel roads, slow speeds, etc. His wife said it was too small so they wanted a bigger SUV.

I drive up to get the car Sunday. I notice the body is pretty beat up (whatever, 225k miles), and Bob tells me the Swaybars were never done. He hands me the endlinks in my hand. Lie #1. He just had the oil changed and transmission serviced.

I leave, car is driving OK. Tires making noise, brakes making noise, meh alright not too bad. I noticed transmission shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd. I check trans fluid, its brown, so was it changed? The Video at the end shows how violent the upshift is if you are trying to accelerate hard.

I tell Luc about all the issues:

Me: “OK so this Subaru has a bunch of issues. Has 3 codes. P0171, p0026, p0028, which require diagnosis. All 4 tires are shot as they have mountain ranges on the inside of them. Huge exhaust leak from the tailpipe. Ac doesn’t work. Transmission is jerking and shuddering. Rear bumper is hit and pushed out. Brakes are making noise when driving. Sway bars are clunking over bumps. Piece of the air intake is missing.... So yeah this car has issues” – “This car isn't worth much with all of these issues. I'd have to sink almost $2000 to fix it all”

Luc:” Wow! Didn't know it really. This was Bob’s car did you told him?”

Yeah I Told him!.. and oh really bobs car… I bought it from YOU on ebay. Nice try.

Me: “Yeah he said he didn't drive it much. So what do we do I'm not paying $2300 for a car I thought had no issues “

Luc: “But on the other hand this was a no reserve auction if it where sold for $200 it didn't matter. I'm sorry, really I am. But let's make the best of it. And perhaps find a good Subaru mechanic on GL.”

LOL oh yeah totally man!

Me: “ Yeah no reserve and I asked about issues”

Luc: “I post the way I know and Bob, that's all I can say. Anything purchased at auction is like that. If you go to car auction is the same .... Otherwise dealer will sell with a warranty but $7k -$9k ! Not at $2300 but you know that.”

Yeah no that’s not how car sales work man. Especially on eBay.

Me: “They BB at $2800. So no.”

Ill stop there. he is ridiculous and too much to type

Currently opened a case with eBay VPP –
“Car was described as having 0 issues. After driving the car, the check engine light came on. It has 3 codes. P0171, p0026, p0028, which require diagnosis. The car will not rev past 4000 RPM. All 4 tires are shot as they have mountain ranges on the inside of them, causing noise and vibration while driving. Huge exhaust leak from the tailpipe and header. You can see JB weld on the exhaust. Transmission shifts poorly and the 2nd to 3rd shift is violent and horrible. Rear bumper is hit and pushed out. Brakes are making noise when driving, rotors have excessive rust, ad says brakes were replaced. Sway bars are clunking over bumps, ad says they were replaced which they were not. Piece of the air intake is missing. Car is very sluggish and has little power. Tail lights and headlights have water in them. Various interior pieces missing. I have photo and video proof of everything wrong with the car. Thank you.”

TLDR: Seller on eBay says car has 0 issues. It has tons of issues and seller bought the car from someone else on eBay, didn’t pick the car up, and tried to flip it for money sight unseen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAJNWc6SCsw
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol

Last edited by ThoR294; 03-06-2017 at 10:48 AM.
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote