View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
HardcoreZ28

Last weekend two of my buddies came by and we started the chop on the cab. The plan was to take 5" out of the height. I marked out all of my cut lines with masking tape as you can see in the pictures.

Before cutting I decided to remove the entire rear window frame. If I did it with the chop it would have been about 3" after and while it's cool it's not functional...plus the rounded ends would have matched up very off. Plan is to chop the window down to about 6" and then weld the frame back in.

After cutting the back window out we hacked off the tops of the doors to get them out of the way. Then the roof top. We used a sawzall for the thick parts on the posts and a cutoff wheel on the rest for nice clean cuts.

Once the roof was off we removed the 5" sections that I'm taking out....if you ever do this be sure to remove 5 vertical inches on the slanted posts...I've read of guys screwing this up and taking a straight measurement instead.

Because of the taper on the roof of the truck as it drops down we had to quarter the roof panel. We welded each corner on with a few good tack welds and then started using some flat stock to make sure all 4 pieces were close to in line again. Then we began our filler strips for the center gaps. I bought a roof cut out of another truck for cheap which is great for in the window channel area....now I don't have to fab all that.

After cutting down the doors we have to cut the top pieces in half as well because of the taper...I'm using a section of the verticle cut as my filler piece in the middle now.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote