View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Heating garage, best option?

The other day I realized I should look into a way to heat the garage. The garage size is roughly 20x25, and about 8' high (500sq ft). (This is not my main work garage some members may have seen) This attached garage currently is a disaster and will be torn down and rebuilt in the spring. It will be fully finished, drywall/insulation/insulated door etc.
The goal would be to keep the garage at a minimum of 55° year round. With the ability to get to maybe 75° in the winter if needed. It will mainly be used for car storage.
Im thinking I should do hot water baseboard heating like in the rest of the house. The current boiler(gas) is old and will get replaced in a year or so. A larger unit is needed anyway. At that point the garage zone would get tied in. It would have its own thermostat and all. From the boiler to where the new zone would be is maybe 10'-15' away only so not a big deal to plumb it in.

Electric baseboard heat seems like it would be too expensive to run throughout the cold seasons. A gas fired forced air unit in the garage is another option but i just don't feel like it fits what Im looking for.

Anyone have experience with a real heated garage?

Last edited by V; 01-28-2018 at 02:08 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote