View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Brake Upgrade Options

It has come time to spend some reasonable coin on a new braking setup for the firebird. It seems the past 2 rentals have been tough on my brakes so it's clear I need a better option. For reference, I upgraded my stock 97 brakes to the new dual piston setup on the 98-02 cars.

I tried NAPA premium blanks and adaptive one ceramic pads. The car proceeded to hot spot the crap out of them. I thought maybe trying a slotted rotor would help dissipate the heat a little better so I tried the Brakemotive setup. The rotors are drilled/slotted and came with ceramic pads. Those got trashed pretty well too at the last track rental but thankfully didn't crack.

It's clear I need to go for a bigger brake package as I think I'm simply overwhelming the stock style brakes with 140mph trap speeds and a 4200lb race weight. I may be able to get away with a good set of blanks with a non-ceramic pad but I'd rather not keep tossing away money on lackluster setups. Going with anything bigger will require new front runners since nothing will tuck behind the 15" Welds.

I've seen folks go to C5/C6/CTSV1/CTSV2 setups but I will admit to being a bit overwhelmed with the options. My street wheels are the 19" CCWs so those should fit just about anything.

Let me know your thoughts.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote