View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 08:11 AM   #1
97Formula

Steering rack woes....

So....going back a few years my 97 Formula had a steering rack leak that was diagnosed by the GM dealer (no longer using them). They couldn't source one from GM so they had to go aftermarket with a BBB part 103-0134 (which, according to BBB and Rockauto, is correct when I plug in 97 Firebird 5.7L).

Since the swap I have noticed the steering being a little easier than before. It didn't occur to me till recently that I may have gotten the V6 version as I have noticed the need to turn the wheel a little more since the swap. Also just did the "lock-to-lock" test and got slightly more than 2 1/2 turns.

Had I know this prior I would've eaten the core refund, kept the original rack and have that rebuilt. Is there any place I can get the "faster" steering rack again which fits this car (guessing junkyard at this point), perhaps as a spare as I learned to live with this one for now but would like to restore the original steering feel someday. Thanks!