View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #32
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbnj View Post
I may have to go the collector route myself this fall as result of the installation of a comp '305' cam in the LT1. Not sure if I missed this but is NJFBOA a recognized car club that can certify that my wheels are limited production to the NJDMV?

Everything I've read says my junk is low production (e.g., John Gunnel's standard catolog of Firebird 1967-2002 & Jim Schild Original Pontiac Firebird and Trans Am) both list the 1995 Formula convertible production at 1,038. And if you consider the 'man pedal', even lower production.

Any thoughts
Get in contact with Pontiac, give them your VIN and they'll give you the information you seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
We have attempted to find out from the state a few different times what the requirements were to be considered a "recognized car club" in their eyes, but we have not gotten any real information back from them about it.

We would gladly provide letters for members who have legitimate low-production cars, but we can't really do anything until we know exactly what they want / need.

- Justin
Without production numbers, you "the club" would have no real way to make the statement whether a vehicle is low production or not. You could give history on and authenticate whether the car is real or fake, but you couldn't speak to production from a pure numbers standpoint.

There is a real good thread over on LS1 tech in the Firebird section. One guy took the time to build spreadsheets for all the 4th gen firebirds and production numbers based on options/colors etc. There are some good links in it that will allow you break down your car's build sheet by working the VIN backwards. The site will generate a list of the RPO codes that your car shipped with. Then by using that list of RPO codes you can pump them into the program and come up with a 1 of xxxxx kind of number. The more codes you pump into the program the more "rare" your car becomes. The truth is that very few cars are identical down to each and every RPO code. But if you limit the RPO codes to engine (LS1), tranny (MM6), gear ratio (GU6) 3.42's, Positraction (G80), Formula Option (W66) and body color (11U) pewter you will find that there were only 45 other cars built in 1999 like mine. If you eliminate color, the number jumps to 577. (I think the number is actually lower than that because mine is a hardtop, which is standard so there is no RPO for hardtop. You'd have to do some playing around and calculate the # of hardtops by subtracting out the Verts and TTop cars.)

What does all that mean? Not much really, its just statistical numbers crunching.....you can make statistics say what ever it is you want if you work the numbers hard enough.

Go here www.compnine.com and screw around, its pretty interesting stuff....the numbers appear to be very accurate, so maybe you could use them on an application???

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote