Thread: Battery issue
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Battery issue

Just trying to confirm what I think the issue is.

Car is a 2012 Honda CR-V, bought January 2012(6 years old), currently has around 48k miles. Original battery.

Car runs and drives fine normally. Starts up every morning fine. Drives anywhere and can sit any amount of time and will restart. No issues there. But if the engine is turned off and the ignition is turned back on w/engine still off, the battery will drain fast enough that within 1-2 minutes, the car will not restart and the starter will just click. At that point, the car needs to be jumped and then it'll start right away. It can then be shut off basically right away again, sit overnight, and will restart fine the next day. It seems the radio/ignition on is drawing so much or putting such a load on the battery that its draining at a accelerated rate. Happened 3-4 times so far, and its like once every 8 months or so when my wife leaves the ignition on somewhere. So not just a recent thing. So basically I'm thinking the battery is toast. I just would have expected other signs of a failing battery by now. Perhaps the factory battery is just junk to begin with.
I'm looking at an Interstate Mega-tron series replacement battery which is the same cost as the "duralast"(autozone) or "autocraft"(advance auto) brand batteries. I just want to be sure I shouldn't be chasing some other possible issue here.

Last edited by V; 01-07-2018 at 05:15 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote