View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #178
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Well just a quick (maybe) update on where I am with the car. I was able to make the Slipstream event at Pocono last weekend but I didn't have a good day.

On my intended last run, I went for a 3-4 shift and the car decided to shake itself sideways at about 100+. I thankfully recovered but noticed two things. 1) My trans doesn't seem to want to go into any gear and 2) my steering wheel is no longer straight.

I eventually was able to get the car into 6th and cruise off the track. At slower speeds, the car needed a nice throttle blip to slide into a gear and if I tried to put it into 2nd, it would pop out unless I held it there. Reverse is a two hand job. Thankfully I was able to get the car onto the trailer.

Later I thought about what could have happened to cause the issue. I was very confident I didn't miss a shift so the only thought (among other things wrong) is I have a bent shift fork. The trans probably locked itself up which caused the massive wheel hop. I'm sure at this point too the synchros are trashed as well.

As for the crooked steering wheel, that was caused by a bent rear lower control arm relocation bracket. That appears to be the only thing wrong with the rear suspension so that's not terrible. It's a good thing every component has been upgraded as I'd hate to think how much worse it could have been should something have completely let go.

So for now, I'm debating on what I want to do. The car will stay a manual but the upgrade to a stronger trans (T56 Magnum/Tranzilla) is a very expensive proposition. Rebuilding the trans seems like a waste of a couple grand to deal with this again in a couple years. Unfortunately going T56 magnum requires going to a new clutch, slave setup so the cost keeps climbing.

So while I understand this is a first world problem, the car is going to sit for a little bit until I'm confident in the next step.

At least she looked kinda pretty..... (thanks for the pic Mike)

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote