View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
V
Stalker

How do I pick a Welder? MIG or TIG?

I've wanted to get a welder for years now and now with almost getting started on my GTA build, this is as good a time as ever to start looking around.

My main question is to go MIG or TIG. I've done a little mig work in the past with a gas setup but never tried tig. The reason I'm considering tig is mostly because of the ability to do aluminum. But i'm not sure how much I would do. So its not a real requirement I guess. I think I've heard that is is somehow possible to mig aluminum but not easy nor recommended. I mainly would use the welder for basic steel. The first job would be to modify and reinforce a 3rd gen K-member. As well as any necessary body repair, such as patch panels(if needed even). I'd also use it to smooth out areas of the engine bay. I do like tig a lot due to the fact it does not splatter/spark like mig. My garage is already set up for 220v so no need for a smaller 110v welder. And I do know TIG would be at least twice as expensive as a MIG.

Does anyone have a TIG welder I could try out? I would obviously pay in order to cover the cost of the consumables.

What is everyone's opinions? MIG or TIG

If I can't really decide, I may just buy a $300 mig from harbor freight and add gas shielding for the few jobs on the GTA and decide on a real machine later one

Last edited by V; 02-04-2015 at 01:25 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote