View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 11:10 PM   #39
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I decided on buying the one I liked from the start, the Billet Specialties 15420. It arrived yesterday and I had my wife help me put it on. I have plenty of hood height clearance, which will be good for when I do put the nitrous wet-plate on. I could perhaps go with a taller filter element too, but this one is good for now.

The torque converter arrived back from Edge Racing Converters, it now has a 3,400 stall and a renewed 2 year warranty. anti ballooning plates etc.

Installed the converter today, as well as the transmission (a ProStreet Elite unit from Dana at Probuilt Automatics). Bolted in the Dennys nitrous-ready driveshaft, ran the trans lines, lokar cut-to-fit TV cable, shifter cable, etc. The Lokar "anchor-tight" dipstick I got is too long.....I kinda thought it was going to be, but I had no real way to measure the length I needed when the trans was not in the car. So, I just ordered Lokar 1211234 (13") to replace my Lokar 1211244 (26") dipstick and tube. THANKFULLY, I will simply be able to un-click the dipstick tube from the transmission fitting and click in the newer, shorter one; thats the design of the lokar anchor-tight units, should be a quick install. My longer one will be going up for sale, and is in perfect condition. it is just too long and I have nowhere on the firewall I want to mount it. (see photo and video)

Gave the entire car a check over, and lowered it down to the ground. Started it up and pulled it out in the driveway. Added more ATF (AMSOIL ATF and 1 gallon of the CATerpillar ATF that Dana recommended). Drove around the neighborhood a few times stopping at my house occasionally to check, and add atf as needed.

Car drove great. sounds AWESOME in real life. I have the cut-out half open in this youtube video of it at idle. Total run time today was about 45 minutes, and it never stalled or anything. The Holley sniper display is something I need to get familiar with glancing at while I drive, and I still need to learn/adjust some parameters. Fan 1 came on when I was idling for a while and the coolant temp got to about 195.

(yea, see the the tach difference on the holley vs the oem gauge, I've read about it before)

After the low speed neighborhood laps I took it out to a few main roads and laid into it a bit. It sure has a lot more torque than my old 305 and revv's up fast. It basically just blows the tires off in 1st and 2nd gear until I get off the pedal. It will take some getting used to thats for sure, but it put a huge smile on my face to finally have this car at a performance level I have dreamed of.

some things I need to take care of:
- Shorter anchor-tight trans dipstick (has been ordered)
- fix power steering belt and tighten better (it slipped off the pulley)
- something must be loose inside my Hooker muffler, as I hear a odd flutter from it and when I knock on the muffler case something metallic rattles/buzzes
- cleanup/detailing of the engine bay and painting some bolt heads, hood hinges, install filler plate in bumper etc
(oh, and after I finish off these Nitto 555 street tires, I am going to have to look for something with much more grip)

this video was taken the first minute I pulled it out of the garage when the sniper was in open loop and is still learning the engine.* after the 12 miles today the idle has cleaned up a lot and it runs much smoother.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaXsGx2nytU

overall, super happy with this project! the dream of taking my high school car and turning it into a +500 hp street car is pretty much complete

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote