Thread: 92 Firebird
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #86
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

This weekend I got the air ducts cut for the Infiniti speakers up front. Just have to get some heating duct tape or something like that to close up the area I cut out. I pulled them out and cleaned up the cuts when I was done.

The heater control valve retaining clip broke so I got a 10-24 weld nut and a short screw to fix that. The control had been hard to use in the past, and this made it work very smooth afterwards. I understand why GM did it their way, but this should last a lot longer, lol. I used wicking thread retaining compound on the threads after I got it together so it won't spin. It would turn on the screw a little before I did that.

Along with the heater control I decided to mount my new heater core since the old one was nasty inside and I think weeped coolant a little. There is no way I could have done that with it still in the car because of the aftermarket core. It fit once I got it in, but the angle and placement of the tubes prevented me from getting it in with the box still mounted to the firewall. I wound up having to take the box halves apart to get the core and plastic mounting part in there. I hope to never have to do that job again.

I also pulled the reverse light wires and the starter relay wires out of the harness from the auto gear select and over to the C100. I also moved my alarm up to the top of the dash instead of just zip tied under the foot well and got the wires all ready to connect again. I also mounted a timed relay under the dash, when the alarm unlocks the door it will start the timer on the relay and it will light an LED strip that I will mount under the door handle for easy night-time viewing. I also mounted the express window module up on top of the dash since It seemed like the best place to put it for space and wiring, got the wires pulled, but not connected yet since I am going to buy new terminals for the window motors and run a heavier gauge wire than factory to try to get the windows to work a little faster.

Also got the hole cut for the clutch master and a reinforcement from a factory firewall all cut, cleaned and ready to be welded to the firewall.

Feels like I got nothing done this weekend, even though I was out there around 10 hours a day for 3 days I got half of a bunch of other items completed too but flipping the dash over and then back to do all the wiring again and again was so time consuming. I did a few small things too, like cut the back of the auto gear selector off because it is one of the mounts for the console, cutting the hole in the floor for the shifter you lose two mounting holes for the console.

Last edited by PolarBear; 09-05-2016 at 09:29 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote