Thread: ABS Question
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
89 Trans Am WS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secfirebird
brake fluid will not set off an abs inop light. and since ya topped it off, when ya go to compress the calipers to do the brake job its all gonna squirt out onto the frame, it will all get cleaned up. you need to scan the abs computer for codes. if ya need help, i can helpy a out one day if ya wanna stop after work. i do work for alot of peopleon this board. i live in clinton.
Care to make a wager?

Low fluid level in a master WILL disable ABS operation.

and it IS a common problem in the field. It doesnt even have to be caused by a leak, just by pad wear bringing the fluid levels down.

A perfect example car of this was the 97 and previous ford windstars which had a extremly sensative master cylinder which read low fluid levels way to soon, thus deactivating the abs.

If it happened after some serious rain and stuff, i would look at the wheel speed sensors, the exciter wheels and all that good stuff. Clean em carefully and see if your problem goes away. Sometimes debris can block the wheel speed signal from registering properly.

Still though, the easiest way is to scan the car.

edit"
Also, if you pump the breaks after you finish one side, then move to the other it will greatly reduce the amount of fluid that drips out. (onto the floor). If its that full, you can always take moms turkey baster and suck some out of the master first..just uhh..dont put it back in the drawer ;(
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote