View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

Motor Swap Toss up

The time is coming. So lettuce wiegh out some options.

Pretty much, im in a toss up on how to assemble this pig. Do i mate the trans together with the engine and front end? or do i throw the front end w. motor in by itself and do the trans on my back? Lets take a closer look cotton...

Engine/Front End/Trans-

-First and formost... time due to cost. I cant mate the engine and trans together without throwing the stall converter in, and thats $800 i dont have right now. So realistically, i wouldnt be able to throw it together until after labor day weekend when i get home from Vaca. Thats an extra 4 weeks of down time.

-On the postive side, if i do wait it out it would be much eaiser to slap it together on the floor of my garage. Converter bolts to flexplate would be a breeze, and bellhousing to block would take 2 seconds. Then id roll it all under on a dolley as one.

-Drawback 2... Since the rear of the car would be on the ground, and i have large belly, the transmount wouldnt be able to be bolted in until the subframe and suspension were in and i would then be able to get the car on jack stands to do under it and throw the transmount on. So the trans would be held up on nothing but the bell housing bolts and the converter.

Engine + Front end only

The only real negative i see to this is the opposite of what i listed above. Ive done a 60e on my back 5 times, and it kinda blows, but its not impossible. just like any job, itd be easier on a lift but i dont got one. So id ive have stuggle with the stall bolts as well as the top bell housing bolts. But nothing i havent done before.

On the flipside, if im just throwing the motor n suspension on its own, ill be able to do it prob mid next week. Just waiting on my headers to get here. Then i would throw them on the motor, motor to the subframe, throw it on a dolley and get under there. (it would be easiest to install Long tubes while the engine is out right?)

Once the engine is in, id be able to bring the car back inside my garage and finish all the little stuff i have to do. Without having to worry about rain or light... and insects. Id be able to run the battery lines, all the guage and the wiring to go along with it. and then when i have the money for the converter, throw it in on a nice climate controlled smooth floor vs the grooved concrete driveway.

cast your votes.
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote