View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Can someone fully explain the GM new car ordering/buying process?

So I recently went to a local dealer and talked to them about purchasing a new car, built with my desired options. The salesman went through all the options as we built the car on his computer. When we were done, he printed out the specs and wrote up an order form. He took a deposit and said his manager would submit the order the following day(it was almost 8pm).

When I had first asked the salesman about availability and if GM would definitely build the car, he said it all depends on if they accept the order and that would take a little time. I also asked about the time frame for the actual build process and he said its no longer 4-8 weeks, closer to 4-8 months.(well maybe not that extreme)

Does anyone here have any insight or experience with the order acceptance part? I have no problem waiting for the car, as long as I know GM will definitely build it. From what I've read online, it could be 2-4 weeks until they move it along and accept it. Others have talked about finding out the order status online, like a status 1100 means still waiting to be accepted by GM, and 1200 or 1300 means it will be built. I'm not sure if I have an actual order number to reference online since I assume that would only be generated when the manager submits the order. I'm going to call the salesman next week to see if there are any updates, but I doubt there will be any news yet.

I know 2021 C8 builds that were accepted and to be built in July were cancelled and the dealers or buyers needed to change the orders to 2022 model year. My car would be a '22 to begin with, and not a C8, so that scenario doesn't really apply to me but just shows how GM is changing stuff up with supply issues and plant shutdowns. I also read about dealer allocations and how/what they order and got very confused. Its a larger dealer so hopefully they have the allocation. If all goes smoothly, I still don't expect to take delivery until after the new year, maybe spring.

Last edited by V; 09-18-2021 at 02:31 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote