View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 12:37 AM   #44
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I downloaded the software to my desktop computer in the house successfully, but was sad to learn that when I tried to download the same holley sniper efi software to the very old (10 year old HP laptop I got for free from a co-worker) that I keep in the garage, the software won't download to it. Bummer, I was going to try to use this laptop specifically just for the car and garage only. crap. Also, I know zero.zero info about tuning or how to even read data, so once I data log, making any sense out of it will take me some time, as well as making changes(correct changes)

I drove the car more today. roads were very crowded so I couldnt really get on it to much. I did hit the highway a little bit. when I mash the throttle at mid/higher rpms, the car does want to get up and go, but it sure doesn't feel like +500 hp worth of power. it felt similar to the pull/surge of spraying the 100 nitrous shot into my old 305 at wot, good and noticeable, but nothing neck breaking. I am sure tthat something's gotta be adjusted or figured out, which is a new territory for me; troubleshooting/tuning/dialing-it-in. . I do feel the instant kick/torque from a dead stop, slow roll, but it doesnt feel like its making the big power. ?? I expected to be rocked going from a TPI 305 with a 100 shot to a 531hp/513 tq level. I know there is a fair amount of tire spin, but I think there is more to this that I have to figure out to make the engine come alive in the car as opposed to the engine dyno.

I also have a chirp/shreeeak/weeeessshhhhh noise (not a squeal) for about 1.5 seconds whenever I go to WOT. Something is telling me it is not a belt, but coming from the sniper?? I searched online about this, but nothing much came up. Might call Holley tomorrow and ask.

IT is supposed to be nice weather tomorrow, so maybe I can take the car out again for a bit and try to datalog. I also wanted to try the 1/4 and 1/8 mile feature of the free TRC (That Racing Channel) phone app. I am no experienced racer, but right now the car feels like a high 12 second car, which isn't a bad starting point, but I believe that for the power/tq of the new motor, the 3,400 converter, 3.55 gears, and approx 3,400 pounds (plus another 200 pounds with me driving) it should be quite a bit rowdier. It definitely felt that way yesterday, but today not so much. it was fast, but not where it should be.

I can try to get the car weighed again at the local quarry tomorrow too, since I last weighed in in November with the old engine etc and it was 3,410 without me. I'll check plugs, belts, vac leaks, and to an underneath/engine bay bolt check too.

- Anyone with any suggestions, tuning ideas, component configuration changes, let me know. and thank you! It'll get there, I just have to figure out how to make it feel/perform like a mid-high 11 second car, which is the territory I was shooting for before pouring nitrous to it.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 03-02-2020 at 12:41 AM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote