View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
V
Stalker

Where to get something welded???

I need a factory y pipe repaired/replaced(1998 cadillac sts) and I'm not sure what I should really do about it.

It is not available new from anywhere, dealer or aftermarket. It also appears to have been a 2 year only version and seems about impossible to find used. The car was basically the same from 1998 to 2004 and I found used versions from 2000 and 2004 but they are different. Apparently there was a design change and a big enough one that it just wont work. Its seems early 98 is my style then late 98-04 is different.

The stock pipe has a flex section in it that broke apart, plus the last few inches were previously repaired with a section of pipe welded on, and poorly done.

I figure my easiest/best option is to buy a flex coupler, same size as the stock one, and have it welded on in place of the old one. Then use the stock lower bend and replace the junky section of aftermarket piping with new pipe.

However I have only found the flex sections in stainless steel. Do I need someone special to be able to weld the stainless to the stock piping? and then the stock piping to new piping?
V is offline   Reply With Quote