View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 12:32 PM   #13
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by foff667
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
The only way to really learn is to either get a seized V8, or buy one of those plastic lifesize/lifelike v8 models (forget the name).

complete bs...people on these boards are always asking for help from others...why not help out? There are manuals out there for just about every car in addition to writeups and stuff on the net...im not saying your not going to learn anything from what you said but you sure would learn alot more by doing real projects on real cars....i didnt know how to change my own oil till i was like 20 now ive done everything from a heads/cam swap, supercharger install to tuning my own cars via hptuners...theres nothing difficult about most of it but you need to start somewhere & i really dont think buying a motor to take it apart & build it back together at a cost is the way to start seeing most people that ask for help will buy lunch or drinks or something to that extent, thats what i did with my heads/cam swap and header install.
Don't get me wrong, you are one-hundred percent right. What im saying is to learn the engine and its parts, not mod it, or do oil changes. I have books upon books I bought from Barnes and Noble about Chevy small blocks, Rebuilding Small Blocks, Complete engine rebuilds, etc. I, along with prolly a few others, thinks its great to learn how the engine works by first-hand and not by book. Your completely 100% right. These books, I still don't know half the *****. I know how an engine works, but Im just having trouble understanding the measurements in some of the things like cams, etc etc. All this talk on these forums about "adding this to my car bla bla bla .05446 bla bla bla" is like a reading a vietnamese passage for me. But first hand does its job cuz this winter, me n my pops are yanking the grandmother 305 from my car and replacing with a pre-built 383 Stroker with a TH700. That gives me a chance to know how to do cam jobs/header jobs etc etc.

And yes, my car is a banging "slipping-gears" Automatic