View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #206
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

A few more updates with a general game plan.

Trans removal:
- Plan is to remove the trans/bell/clutch from the car this Saturday at the house.

- If nothing else looks screwed up that will cost me an additional arm/leg, then all aboard the wallet destroying train next week when I order all the things.

Part Selection:
- The T56 big boy will be the trans of choice with the stronger 9310 gear set. I plan on going with a slightly shorter 5th gear so if I ever decide to do another 1/4+ event, I will actually be able to see reasonable RPM/power in 5th. 6th will remain the same to maintain a nice highway cruising RPM. I'm told this trans will hold 1,200hp. I may splurge a bit and have them powdercoat the case. The current fluid pump system will be maintained.

- I spoke to a few clutch companies and I'm pretty set on a Monster LT1-S triple organic disc setup. The cost will be comparable to most any other reputable clutch plus they have done a few unicorn high powered LTx cars. The clutch should hold 1,000hp and drive similar to stock. One added benefit is they can make the slave hydraulic line length to my needs. The alternative would be replacing the master to slave line with a new one from Tick since the LS version is longer. The fitting style will still need to be converted though but this will be much less a PITA vs replacement of the line...much cheaper too.

- The driveshaft will likely need to be shortened and I will need a new yoke for the trans output. My current trans used a 30 spline output, this one will be a 31. A billet piece will get the nod.

- Next is a new bellhousing from QuickTime to convert the LS style trans to my archaic engine.

So that's the current plan. Since no core is needed for the trans, I'm told it would be about 2-3 weeks to build. I asked if I could visit the shop and see that process in action but I'm not sure if schedules will align.

Lastly, what does someone upgrade while their car isn't really driveable? The head unit of course! I swapped out the rock solid Alpine unit I had in and tossed in a Pioneer 4100NEX. This came from my wife's sold Lexus so rather than get low balled on it during resale, I got this into the firebird for less than $30 in parts. I reused the Axxess steering wheel control box which gave me some heartache. Turned out the wiring connector for it had the wire pinned in the wrong slot. Repinned and viola, all worked perfectly. It's strange but I'd say the sound is well improved as well. This head unit does Android Auto and a few other tricks. The look is much cleaner as well. Dare I say there was a bit of weight savings too!

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA

Last edited by Blackbirdws6; 07-09-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote