View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Engine build / Machine shop for LS1?

Ok, I finally have my motor out and mostly torn down.
It's a 2002 LS1 longblock. (approx 169k miles as far as I know)

I want to have a machine shop check it out to make sure its good and to do some minor work on it before I assemble it.

I would like to keep it the factory bore size. Maybe just a light hone of the cylinders. I pulled the heads today and I can still see the crosshatching on all the cylinder walls and there was no scoring I could see nor any real lip at the top of the bores.

I want to use the stock crank and rods so I'd need them all checked to make sure now have damaged bearings. So I assume a hone of the crank journals would be worth it. If the crank and rods all are good, I'd also like to use std size bearings for them as well. Main caps would use factory bolts and the rod bolts would be ARP hardware. Obviously I'd have the machine shop install new cam bearings. I'd eventually be installing an MS3 camshaft. I'd also see about welding up the cracked ground bolt boss I mentioned in my other thread.

How much should I expect to pay for the cleaning, checking and honing?
I would be doing all the assembly myself. (I have assembled several engine in the past.)
Do my plans seem reasonable? Am I forgetting anything major?

As for the heads, I have a set of 243 heads which will be sent out to AI for a CNC porting. Other random items in the build will include an LS6 valley cover, ported/polished TB, LS6 intake manifold, electric waterpump, dual spring valve springs, trunion rocker conversion, arp head studs, and ls7 clutch. Basically I'm building a clone of my old SS motor, just with ported heads now. I may consider moving up to a FAST intake manifold but not right away.
V is offline   Reply With Quote