View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

Fail Thread of Failed Thread

As some of you may have seen, i had a issue with getting 2 messed up flex plates. That issue was solved yesterday, as 3 minutes after, a new issue is on the horizon.

Finally got the right length belt for my set up using an adjustable alternator bracket(No PS, No AC, No WP, so belt is just from balancer to Alt) so i decised to throw it in. Previously, all bolts were just hand tight for mock up and belt length check.

2 of the 3 bolts securing the alt to the block went on with no issue, the last one however did not. Within a few turns of the torque wrench(goal tq 37ft lbs) i had a free spinning bolt on my hands. backed it out and was greeted with this...

Now if i was hammering this in with a battery impact or something i would get it, but i was tightening by hand, to 37ft lbs, and it let go well before it was even close to tight. So something is up.

My guess is that is this a previously repaired thread, and it just wasnt done to well resulting in this. Or possibly, due to this being the bolt that holds the tension of the alternator belt, maybe the lateral force against the bolt from the belt tension effected it?

Either way it doesnt matter what caused it, i just need to get it fixed. Right now the options look as followed:

-HeliCoil (cheap, can prob obtain today)
-Time Sert ($$$)
-Drill and tap for larger size bolt (rather not this one)

Advice?
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote