View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #70
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Honestly Kevin I was a bit surprised when this post wasn't here.

I guess they could have retrofit the A/C switch though, right?
Ha! You know me too well! It's like a puzzle for me to look over these types of pics and fun.

So the question is about the A/C switch over.

First off, Chevy did not allow you to order A/C with any solid lifter engine (Z/28,L78,L89), opinion is the higher revving engines would throw the A/C belt often.

When looking at this car's A/C components, there is definitely a mismatch of components.

1. A/C "suitcase" in engine compartment is factory. To add this requires cutting firewall, not a small task. A/C only wiring harnesses looks to be there too.

2. "flapper valve in cowl area (under wipers). does not appear to be there. If upper cowl panel was replaced, it might have been lost. You lose Max A/C setting.

3. A/C compressor has been changed to modern version. Why would you change that unless you wanted to get A/C working?

4. Radiator support has been changed, because I see no seal there or holes for the seal. I do see the undrilled factory dimples on the support.

5. A/C condenser is present in front of radiator and dryer is there by battery. Again, you need these only if A/C is in "working" condition.

6. factory A/C dash pad (with upper vent) and heater controls are in place.

7. A/C kick panels are NOT there. They are the standard kick panels, likely they were replaced. Not having the right kickpanels has some issues with A/C operation (Max/normal).

Misc: looking closely I see the disc brake round valve, so this car came with Factory disc brakes probably. This can be added, but looks grungy enough to be original. Dirty disc brake pedal is there, a good sign.

Rear springs appear to be factory 4-leaf, but 3.31 rear is normally a SS350 rear. an LM1 or SS350 could have come with a 4 leaf from the factory.

Grill surround should be body color, so this was replaced during the paint job. But the good news is the fit is very well done. Likely GM grill and fenders and other front end parts (repros fit like crap)

Front spoiler is missing, You got both on a factory spoiler car, Check for larger diameter trunk springs to be sure.

6K redline tach is for Z/28s or big block, unknown if original, but you would not get this redline on SS350 or LM1, my guess is it was added.

My guess is that this was a decent low miles SS350 or LM1 (Special order) With A/C. http://www.camaros.org/lm1.shtml
And then they added the emblems. cowl hood and stripes and Wha La, a Z/28! and a price increase!

Last edited by KevinW; 04-11-2018 at 10:28 AM.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote