View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

With that being said, here is a rundown of my past weekend. I have probably 450 photos/videos that I have to upload from both
cameras and then sort through... so that part might have to wait for a few days. sorry.

Short version: put down 332 miles o the car, it drove great, 2 days of the car show, watched racing for 2 days, hungout with some friends I knew, made some new friends, stopped at S&W racecars to discuss my 6 point roll bar install, lots of sun, all in all a super fun and enjoyable weekend.

Long version:

Friday: I Had prepped the car the night before so it was easy to leave on Friday at 12noon. My wife was coming to visit with her friends and family but she was not going to maple grove at all so she drove out on her own. It also was better this way because I had arranged to stop by S&W Racecars out in PA mid afternoon Friday. I only really planed on being there for 15 mins, but the shop foreman Mike ended up being a super friendly guy. We discussed options for my roll bar and how best to keep this car a street-car. Afterwards he showed me around the shop at some of the project cars and their tubing benders, cnc machines, etc. way cool. Most of the crew at S&W was already at Maple Grove setting up trucks, trailers, and doing test and tune for their weekend of bracket racing. Then drove to my in-laws house, and went out for dinner.

Saturday: Hit the road around 7:30 am for the 31 mile drive to Maple Grove. Arrived, parked, registered, gave the car a 10 minute wipe-down and that was it. Didn't even touch it or hangout by it the rest of the day. There was a handfull of 3rd gen cars there Saturday and two guys I remembered from years past. Spent some time walking around the showfield, taking photos and chatting with people as well. Then watched some drag racing bracket cars, some "true-street" cars, top sportsman, top dragster, outlaw, 2 alcohol funny cars, and my long time favorite...the pro mods. Walked around in the pits and chatted with people about their roll-cage setups,and asked a lot of 3rd gen drivers what header combination/specs they use and why. Stopped by the S&W trailers and talked with the whole group for a while. Randy and his daughter were in the bracket classes and they did pretty well all weekend long. Hungout with a guy who I went to high school with and his mid 9second monte carlo at various times over the weekend also. Car show awards saturday are always based on the entire showfield as a whole, and not split up into lasses (thats Sundays awards). I always like to go and see how some of the top cars of the group do, and its neat to see some of the people I was chatting with earlier win an award. They do stuff like best paint, best engineered, best engine, top 10 judges choice in the showfield, top 10 event sponsors choice, and top 5 maple grove racetrack choice. I was completely blown away and to be honest, quite embarrassed to hear my name called up for a top 10 judges choice award. No way I deserve that compared to the dozens and dozens of high-dollar, pro built, masterpiece cars out on the showfield. I still feel uneasy about that, but I can't really protest or refuse to take the award; so I guess it is what it is. Watched more racing until about 5pm and then drove the car back to my in-laws house.

Sunday, left the house at 7 am and got to the track around 7:45. Parked in the 3rd gen section and gave the quick wipre down of the car. A few of the other 3rd gen guys arrived, including Joe A. and his awesome 1992 camaro. He is a member here I think, but not active anymore. Its a pro-streeted style 1992 camaro with a 434 cid Shaffiroff motor and a procharger making around 1,050 horsepower! its got a full roll cage, parachute, wild paint, and a serious rear end. lots of work and $ put into the car. I walked the showfield again and watched drag racing most of the day. Mid afternoon they did car show awards; there are LOTS of classes and these classes are broken down into stock, street modified, and heavy modified. my buddy brandon won the 3rd gen stock class, i did in street modified, and Joe won heavy mod. the sun was hot all day. cars ran all day long minus maybe two oil down cleanups. I stayed until about 5pm when only a few classes of cars were left in the staging lanes. Loaded up my unused chair, box of detail supploes, and my cooler and hit the road. A fuel stop on the way home and a nice easy drive most of the way. I passed by Island dragway where they had a ford event, but it was already done of the day.

put 332 miles on the car and it worked really well. used my button to lock-up the torque converter on the long strecthes of highway. temps were usually 180-200. once or twice I noticed it was at 220. trans temp was 160-180. I have a very slight rotational scuffing sound coming from my drivers side rear rotor to investigate. and I think my stereo amplifier finally took a dump. I have had it for 16 years and its been acting erratic this year. Not bad timing either since I was going to reconfigure the whole rear truck stereo system this winter after the roll bar setup is installed. all in all, a very fun weekend; and my favorite car weekend of the year.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 07-19-2019 at 09:42 AM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote