Thread: 92 Firebird
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #103
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

I have been working on the car as much as I can. I got the one spot of rust under the rocker on the passenger side replaced and I get part of the DSE sub frame connector in. I don't have any pictures as I burned out one of the splices to my service in the house when I was out there working. I had the welder on, the lights, an old fan and the air compressor kicked on when I opened the valve. I was going to blow out a potential flame with the air and the compressor was struggling to start and the lights started flickering. I moved to shut the compressor off and then the lights went out. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. I checked the voltage on both legs coming in and one was full and the other was about 5. The local company was there in around an hour and fixed it, but it was dark and late by that time, so no progress pictures on that.

I also ordered more connectors I needed to finish my harness and do some other electrical that I have planned and I did a little more on the harness. I also decided since I have the dash out completely, I am going to put closed cell foam on everything that will not bee seen back there to hopefully eliminate squeaks and rattles. So far I have only done two ducts, but it is a good project to do when I only have a little time after work, or at the end of the night. I use the 1/8" CC foam I got for the decoupling of the MLV sound deadening and the floor/vibration treatment. I am gluing it with some Weldwood contact cement, stuff really gets you out of it before you know what is going on in the basement, lol. Just did this tonight.

I just lay the piece on top and rough trace it out, then cut the foam inside the line. I am finding that the contact cement is softening up the plastic and it becomes a little larger than the size needed. This is just rough work since it is not going to be seen. If I was really into it, I would cover all the seams with thin strips of foam, but that isn't going to make a difference.
I also plan on putting extra foam in the air duct joints to try to close those up. With the handling on my part and the age of the factory foam, it probably won't seal as well once I put it all back together. I am also going to wrap some of the wiring and connectors in the dash that I think may cause noise. I will also get to the main dash piece once I get closer to final install since it is still in the car and I move it back and forth a lot when working in there.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote