Thread: 92 Firebird
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #104
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Well, a lot of time has gone by, but I am almost done with the car. I don't have many pictures to show, but the entire drivetrain is done and the interior is about 1/3 of the way done. I actually took it for a quick drive down the street and right back to the garage, felt good. I have a lot of little stuff to button up, front sheet metal, then right to the car wash.

I just ordered some new fender ground effect pieces since one original broke and the other won't last long, also a new overflow, mirror gaskets and the little Firebird trim pieces that cover the screw in the handle escutcheon. I am only getting new mirror gaskets since I am going to be taking them off to put in Corvette heated mirrors and the old gaskets are probably dried out. I will also have to do the door weatherstrip since I took one off and it tore a little, I will just glue that for now and stick it back on.
In addition to the Vette mirrors I have done a few other additions. I added an AAW dome light module, it keeps the dome on for a period after shutting the door (with a potentiometer) and will shut off the dome immediately with the ignition on. I will be adding a GM XM antenna on the roof since the Sirius antenna mounted in the defrost vent on the dash isn't the best spot. I am also adding a DEI window closer module and I have upgraded the wiring to 10 gauge from the measly factory 14 or 16 gauge, between the wiring and having cleaned and greased the tracks when I put the new window motors in the windows should practically shoot out of the tracks. I am also putting in door lighting to shine on the ground when the door is opened and lighting behind the door handle that will be activated by the door unlock and put on a timer.
When I had the dash out for fixing/adding wiring I also did the requisite FatMat on the firewall and added Mass Loaded Vinyl over that but behind the factory jute pad for extra vibration dampening and sound proofing. I only got as far as the rear foot area of the floor. I ran out of MLV to do the rest of the interior, so I will have to order another roll, it is quite expensive and heavy. BUT the car should be even more quiet on the inside. I am hoping with all the foam I did in the dash, SFCs and sound deadening I can eliminate most of the squeaks and rattles inside the car.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote