Thread: t top problem
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Stevoone

I went through a waterleak/windnoise class a while ago and they had some good test methods.

Not sure how well this would work on a 3rd gen but one method was to seal the body vents and pressurize the interior using the blower motor. mix water and your usual car soap or something that will make a lot a suds and go over the suspected area. Any spot where water was leaking in will allow the pressurized air to come out and cause bubbles.

Another way to diagnose weatherstrips is to coat them with baby powder or talcum powder. Reinstall the t-top then check for spots where the powder did not transfer. If there is a low spot or weak spot in the weatherstrip the powder should not be disturbed at all.

When I installed my new t-top seals I had to readjust the t-top glass. Where your lock mechanism engages to the body you can loosen them and move them up or down.

By OE I think he meant seals made by GM. From what I remeber the t-top weatherstrips were discontinued shortly after i replaced mine about 5-6 years ago. The only thing you can get now is aftermarket/reproduction.

Last edited by Stevoone; 10-12-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote