View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
89 Trans Am WS6

Just a update for you guys.

The state has completely reworked the inspection program in NJ.This included mandatory recertification for all of its inspectors, including parsons employees. Some of the changes will be apparent right away, some of them nobody other than a inspector will even notice. It really depends on what you own, and how its registered. For the most part your fbodys wont be effected at all.

Commercial vehicles have a lot changing, one of the biggest being yearly inspection. Regardless of weight or fuel type if you have a vehicle registered as commercial (that includes limos and omnibuses) you will be required to get it inspected once a year. Buying a NEW commercial vehicle will no longer give you 4 years of inspection either. That new rack truck or mason dump (or anything new and commercial) needs to be inspected right away and then yearly after that. The thinking behind this is that commercial vehicles are used much differently, and harder then passenger cars and thus the state wants to inspect them more.

Omnibus 2 is a new registration category that probably has no interest for people here. Its for small buses that are not for hire. Think of it like a bus that is owned by a ski resort and is used to move people from the lodge to the slopes. You dont pay a fee directly for the bus, just to get into the ski resort. This does NOT include vehicles registered to churches or other religious organizations.

OBD Testing.

96 and up GASOLINE and now 97 and up LIGHT DUTY DIESEL receive OBD inspections. Previously light diesels (volkswagen, mercedes, jeep) received only a safety inspection and a pass. Now 97 and up LIGHT DUTY diesels are treated just like a 96 and up gasoline car. I will double check my new book to let you know the cut off weights, etc. Some have changed.

Medium duty diesels now get a visable smoke test. This is NOT the same as a opacity test used on heavy duty diesels.

PIFs and DECs are now the same thing. The programs and training were combined so any private inspection facility can now inspect heavy duty diesel trucks (over 16k? pounds) if they purchased the new opacity meter addition for the new inspection machines. This is funny because you DO NOT need a CDL to inspect the heavys, just a inspector license, however part of the testing for a heavy can include driving the rig. haha, smooth move jersey.

Some previous failures are now advisories, but nothing to major.

Dynos which have been dead since april are now dead for good. Anything pre obd and certain heavy weight gas vehicles will receive a tail pipe test. The exact type of test is determined by the weight of the vehicle.

Gas cap testing is no longer needed on 01 and newer vehicles, as it redundant anyway as these vehicles have enhanced evap systems.

All the facilities now had to purchase all new equipment. They are fully CAN compliant so there is no longer a exempt list at PIFs. Inspectors now login with a fingerprint, not a id card.

And the question I know all of you care about the most! The 2012 stickers are blue. They are the same design as the purple 2010, but I know how alot of us worry if the color is going to look goofy. My TA will have the blue.

Ill try to remember to grab my book and get you guys all the proper weights and stuff.

Hope its helpful.

Edit: WE have NO idea when this is going to take place. Our machine was just delivered and setup, but now its sitting idle until the state is ready. Still some people have not received their machines. The original go date was Jan 1st, but I have a feeling we wont use it till march.

Edit 2: http://njinspections.com is the new site the state is promoting now. Its supposed to have all the new updates.
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird

Last edited by 89 Trans Am WS6; 12-19-2009 at 11:43 AM.
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote