View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippindabird View Post
i have an 02 silverado z71 ext cab 4wd... i want to replace the 5.3 for more power and less mileage(175k). i was thinking LS1 shortblock with the 5.3L heads a 98-00 LS1 cam, stock truck intake... ive heard that the 5.3 heads flow as well as LS1 heads and add compression, is this true?? ive seen a few trucks with 4.8L use the LS6 cam and was wondering if that might fit my application and make more power then the ls1 cam. im doing this dirt cheap so used stock style cam is pretty much all i can afford unless i get lucky and find a deal on an aftermarket cam(not likely) i was hoping to reuse the stock converter to keep it simple and save cost as well, im hoping to get 350+ hp @ the crank after i get long tube headers/full exhaust and have it tuned, is this even possible with a combo like this?? any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated i wanna do my homework before i start buying parts
What wrong with the 5.3? High milage is nothing for these motors at all... I know, I had the heads off of a 206k motor and still has cross hatches in the cyl walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippindabird View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-C...item41583c71e5

just found this cam, good price, probably sucks though

Reground cams... I wouldnt chance it. As far as use a "stock style cam" IE; Z06, they are very expensive as well... since they work well in an LS1 and are easy on springs and work well with boost.

Why not just swap a 6.0 in the truck? Much cheaper then an LS1...

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote