View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 11:54 PM   #13
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

The rear arrived on Monday afternoon. I knew it was coming so I finished pulling out the old 10 bolt that morning. Installed the axles and my brakes (with the new plates from Ed Miller) on Monday. Tuesday, spent a bunch of time making trips to various autoparts stores for brake fittings etc. Ran my own 3/16" brake lines on the axle housing. (Next year when the engine is out, I will be completely eliminating the combination valve/prop valve and running all new brake lines from the master cylinder to both front wheels, and then from the master cylinder back to the ones I just did at the axle). Mounted the axle in the car Tuesday afternoon and got it all squared up with the various adjustable suspension parts from UMI, that made things VERY easy! Sat the car up in the air at it's ride height today and took measurements for a driveshaft. Ordered the driveshaft tonight

The rear was built by Moser. I had dozens and dozens of conversations with people in person and online about specs, power levels, street-ability, part compatability, etc. Ed Miller got me the set of brake backing plates I needed to run my 1LE style PBR brake setup. I shipped these to Moser and after they gave the "ok" we placed the order.

12 bolt axle housing.
33 spline axle shafts
1/2" x 20 x 2" studs (screw in so I can run longer ones If I ever put on some slicks)
Eaton Detroit TrueTrac diff
3.55 gear ratio
1350 series yoke ChromeMoly
aluminum cover
f-body suspension mounts
powdercoated black
sealed ball bearings
bolt in axles
3" axle tubes fully welded

I am very happy. I can't believe how massive these 33 spline axle shafts are !! The axle with my brakes on it (but without fluid) weighed 210 pounds and is a beast! I know it will rob a lot of horsepower to turn this(and I don't have much currently), but it is worth it in the long run for the strength. The next engine coming will work out just fine with this setup.
I wanted to simply do this once and do it right. I was told by Moser that this axle combination is good to hold about 900 hp on a street type surface, but a little less for any type of transbrake launches on a prepped track with a sticky tire. I forgot to think ahead and buy larger U-bolts for my sway bar mounts (larger 3" axle tube) so those have been ordered.

Driveshaft should be here in a few weeks. Then we can break this in properly and hit the road.

photo album link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/iroczm...57706981674364

photos of the old 10 bolt and new 12 bolt

Last edited by IROCZman15; 02-21-2019 at 12:45 AM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote