View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #40
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
Historically, the ABS in this car would be quite intrusive. I figured I could balance out the braking power to higher the braking threshold. I figured since everything was out, might as well do it now. It was a cheap part anyway (or at least relatively).
I haven't heard of this being done before, please keep us posted on the results.

How do you define "intrusive" as far as the ABS kicking in? Are you referring more to the balance and stability under threshold braking or more do you feel the ABS is cutting into the braking force before it is entirely necessary?

ABS is a great driving aid if it is balanced properly and being used properly. ABS, just like standard brakes, work best when you roll onto them. Roll quickly, but still roll into the pedal. The idea being to have the chassis weight move onto the suspension and settle into the tires before you get to the bottom of the pedal. If a driver only stabs the brakes, expecting the ABS to make up the difference, it will bounce the suspension just the same as standard brakes and reduce the amount of braking traction available.

I am going to ask around among the contacts and sites and see if I can turn up any specific knowledge on either mechanically balancing or a way to reprogram the ABS system. It is possible that among all of your upgrades you are operating to the far edges or outside of the factory tables.

-Tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote