View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
V
Stalker

Basically you have to do a sale. Both parties sign the current title under sellers, and only you sign again under buyer. Then you take the title to the DMV and get a new title.

You will most likely need to get a new registration as well since the old one corresponds to the two-name title. Unless they have corrected problems with it since 2004....

I did this back then with a car that had a cosigner, and after the car was paid off, I only needed my name on the title. DMV told me then the registration was still fine, but over the next few weeks, I kept getting pulled over for "plates not issued". In one system plates just came back to a "Chevrolet", no year or model, and my name. The other system said "plates not issued". One time it was a friend who pulled me over about it, and then I had my gf's father run my plates. They were both kinda confused since it was partially in the system but not really. When I went to the DMV and told them, they acted clueless after they ran the plate and it came up "not issued" until i said something about the "other" system. The guy looked at me and said something like, oh you know about that one? and looked and that had some info so they knew something got messed up somewhere and they had me re-register the car to fix it.
V is offline   Reply With Quote