View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #95
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
but the plane will not move through the air. It NEEDS air under the wings to take off. I can run 15 mph on a treadmill, but after an hour of doing so, I'm still on the treadmill, not 15 miles away. you see what I'm saying? the thrust is only half of what makes the plane take off, the other half is air flow across the wings creating a hig pressure area under the wing and a low pressure area above it....or vice versa, I dont really remember.
it is a very simple concept. if you are running on a treadmill it is your feet that is keeping pace with the treadmill.
in teh case of an airplane the wheels just sit and spin freely at whatever pace the ground under them dictates.
the thrust force of the jet engines works independantly of the wheels. it will push the plane forward regardless fo what the ground beneath the plane is doing and whatever effect that ground has on the wheels.
the plane would move forward and take off as if the conveyor system wasn't there. the only effect you would see is if you tracked the wheel speeds they woudl actually be spinning at twice teh speed of the air plane during acceleration, which doesn't matter since the wheels are jsut free spinning like roller skate wheels anyway.
and as a side note, it is actually the low pressure area above a wing that creates lift, not the force under teh wing.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association