Thread: 92 Firebird
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #128
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Well, just a small update. I have been driving the car as much as I can and I am having a lot of fun. I have already put over a thousand miles on it since the beginning of June and did my "break in"fluid changes. The trans was rebuilt, so I had to change the fluid, as per the builder, oil in the engine was in there for a while, but almost no miles before this, and I did the gear oil as a precautionary.

The 6 speed is great with the 3.45 gears, the AC blows cold, the XM antenna is a huge improvement over the antenna in the dash. I replaced the reverse lockout solenoid and it is so nice to not have to fight against it trying to go in reverse.
I had a few small problems with my wiring. My AC wouldn't come on initially, I thought my wire from the ECM for the AC command was something else and I hooked it up to the parking brake switch. Got that connected to the HVAC wire for AC and now the AC comes on as intended. I also had the wires "backward" for the RLO solenoid at the solenoid and reversed them on the connector and it would blow the fuse. So the solenoid must have been bad and the internal diode was too low resistance, so it would blow the fuse. With the wires reversed it would reverse voltage the diode, so it didn't matter the coil for the solenoid was open. Got a new solenoid installed on Sunday and all that is working as it should. I do have one more issue with the clutch anticipate, it isn't bringing the pin low as it is supposed to, so I think I forgot to ground the other wire from the switch so I have to take part of the dash apart to look at that.
I also have to change the door open trigger wire for the alarm system. I put in a module for the interior light so it will stay on for the timed amount and it will also shut off immediately when you put the key in ignition. Well this keeps the wire for the lights low during the time the light is on, so the alarm thinks the door is still open and honks the horn as a reminder that the alarm doesn't have the remote in range and the door is open. So I forget EVERY time and walk away from the car and the horn honks. I already have the delay set to about 8 seconds and I don't want to go lower. There are two pins on the door switches, so I will have to move the alarm wire to the other pin and then run another wire to the passenger door so it functions with both doors, I may also run a wire to the hatch so I can have the hatch also trigger the alarm.
I can also use the unused C.A.G.S. wire to function as a shift light in the car, so while I am running another wire for the alarm, I am going to run one more wire to make the shift light in the dash work too.
This past weekend I also started working on fixing the fiber board for the headliner. My friend that works in composites suggested I use white glue to put into the fiber to act like epoxy would in a fiberglass application to strengthen the board. When I took it down it folded in a few places and it was separating in others, plus it was cracked in the middle. I also bought some fiberglass screen material to use over the whole board to cover some of the defects. So far I have saturated the board and got the screen stuck to the board. Initially the board was HEAVY from the glue, I used around 3/4 of a gallon to cover and get the screen down. It has been drying for a few days now and since a lot of the water has come out it is much lighter. I had to flip the headliner over as I noticed that the bottom side of the board felt wet but the top was stiff and dry, so the moisture was not able to escape sitting on the table. I will leave it a few more days and maybe have a fan blow across it, or put it out in the sun. Then I can glue some new liner material on it. I am ready to get the headliner installed since I keep snagging the wires for the alarm and the XM antenna wire since they both go to the back.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote