View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
strong first post back

Love those cars.
Thanks Mike! It's been a while, how've ya been? I figured I'd start off with something racing related. Hell, I might even come to a meet before the end of the year lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I've driven a handful of AP1/AP2's over the years and secretly (not anymore) want one to mess around with. Great runs. Any reliability issues with it?
Hey Brian! Where they lack in straight line power (compared to what you're used to lol) they make up for in the twisties. I personally wanted the Ap1 because of the higher, 9k redline and the lack of traction control or stability control. I assume a little more throttle response too, since the Ap1 has the cable driven throttle body, where as the ap2 has drive by wire.

The Ap2's have a little more displacement (.2 liter) and torque due to the longer stroke, but the red line is around 8300rpm. The Ap2 also has a lower secondary gear reduction in the trans, which makes 1-4 gear a bit shorter compared to the Ap1. I've been told that the Ap2 rear diff case is a little stronger as well.

On the Ap1, a lot of people recommend changing out the intake valve retainers with Ap2 because they say they can crack, which could lead to a dropped valve.

Other than that, reliability wise, it's a Honda lol. Keep up on the maintenance and it will last a long time.

Also, learning how to adjust the valves on them helps out quite a bit. I feel as if that is often overlooked. I can't leave stuff well enough alone lol, so I check them every so often to make sure im on the tighter side of spec and getting the most hp out of it.

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote