View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
HardcoreZ28

2 First Gen Firebird Questions

Hey guys I'm working on a 68 for a guy right now that another shop completely hacked up. Trying to get everything right for my customer. My first question is Firebird specific. It appears as if the tailpanel was replaced on the car and the area where the bumper runs across is curved in at the center above the license plate area. It's curved in probably a good 3/4" or more. I've never looked at one close enough to know if this is correct or if the other shop misaligned the panel and then just pushed the center in to be able to weld it to the trunk floor. Anyone know?

Second question is just first and possibly second gen related. The front mounts for the leaf springs are held up with 3 bolts that go up into the floor pan. I'm trying to remove them and they are just spinning. I'm assuming there's a cage nut above the mount that's spinning. I can't figure out a way to get them out aside from cutting that portion of the frame open to somehow stop the nut from turning. You can't get to it from inside the car because it's a double panel. Anyone know a trick for this?

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote