View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #50
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Glad you asked, I should have gotten into that a bit,

I always had intentions of keeping the car a gen 1 sbc. so LT, LS, LSX, LXX, XXL, etc are all eliminated right away. I want a solid block for long term use and a Dart Little M is too over the top, so a Dart SHP is the best fit.

I began searching for fully built engines a few years ago and came across the usual stuff from BluePrint engines, Skip White, White Performance, Proformance unlimited etc etc. Spent a lot of time reading reviews too. I am certainly not skilled enough to assemble my own stout short or long block. (I MAY TRY to tear down my current camaro's engine and give it a freshen up later on) but I would not trust myself with all sorts of expensive engine components, so I want a pro shop to do it. Ohio Crankshaft had some good engines too.

I read many reviews when I searched even deeper than just a simple google search for Nyes Performance engines. Dug into a bunch of threads on yellowbullet.com and actually even reached out to some people via PM on other internet sites who had a Nyes engine. all had very good things to say. I stopped by The Engine Factory in Lebanon, NJ a year or so ago, and they said they could build just what I wanted for $13,900 or I could have a 434 cubic inch for $15,900. Price was a bit too far out of reach for me when I could have the Nyes one for $11,000 plus shipping. There are local engine building shops nearby too, and I'm sure they could do it, but since Nyes builds these combinations of engines quite often, they probably have it down to a really good science, whereas Im sure a local shop could do it too, but they may not have all the variables as fully refined as Nyes probably does.

I wasn't set on a 406 for displacement, but from what I have learned (and been told), the rotating combination of a 427 doesn't jive with my intended use and nitrous. I was told by two people to flat out not go with a 427 nitrous setup. basically, I could go with a 406, 421, 434.

I want EFI, but I'm not a tuner and don't want to overly be obsessed with tuning and data-logging a street/strip/show/car. I want what the holley sniper (and holley super sniper) seem to offer, self learning tuning, various inputs and outputs, datalogging, and basic drive-ability reliability. I am not looking to grab every single hp capable out of the engine either. .... I want to be able to fire up the car, drive it with minimal worries, and hammer on it at will without constantly tuning a carb or an advanced efi system or having parts be on the ragged edge of driveability.

if anyone knows of some fully built/dyno'd engine combinations like this, please let me know. I have several months before I purchase an engine still.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 05-08-2019 at 12:39 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote