View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #63
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I skimmed it, I'll read it later as it looks like lots of good info but....

Quote:
Driver weight … along with speed, g-forces, etc, plays a role in proper seat selection. The heavier a driver is, the stronger the seat needs to be built to not “fold up” under hard impacts. Racing seat manufacturers are in a tough spot, because the “it won’t happen to me” idiot racers buy seats that are light & cheap. So they need to offer light & cheap seats or they will miss sales to their competitors. This advice is simple … don’t be an idiot by buying the cheapest & lightest seat like this ...

If you can literally flex your seat by moving around in it (parked) … well that my friends is what we call a clue. The seat needs to be strong enough to hold a heavy mass (you) in place during a high-G crash. Do not buy into the myth that the seat needs to flex with you. The seat & 5-7 point harness need to work together to contain you from flinging around in the cockpit in bad crashes. So paper thin “economy racing seats” with no bracing should not be considered safe.
I don't think he has sat in a kirkey OR he is much fatter/stronger/better looking than me. Mine is stiff, doesn't flex at all. I haven't secured it to my bar though, something I should do.