View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
V
Stalker

fuel pump switch:
on cars that came with factory electric fuel pumps, there should be a fuel pump relay. On the 3rd gens, they are mounted on the drivers side firewall by the cowl(to the right above the brake booster). You would need to check a service manual for your car to locate it. On that realy there several wires, the 2 large wires are main power, one is hot in, other is hot to the pump. do not touch those. there will be a thinner gauge wire that activates the relay most likely a thinner solid red wire(may be tan or yellow) check a shop manual to be sure of wire color or use a test light/ voltmeter to confirm it. (it should give the relay power only with the key at run or start(not ACC)) Then, you would cut into that thinner wire before the relay and install an inline switch. make sure that switch is of good quality and has at least a 30amp rating just to be safe. That way, with the new switch you will turn on and off the fuel pump relay. You do not want to put a switch directly inline with the pump since it uses a higher amp load and could limit proper voltage getting to the pump.

push buttom start:
There are a few ways, depending on where you want to splice into the starter activation wire(3 main places, under dash, underhood by fuse block or at starter). for this explination ill do it off the starter. On the starter you will see two terminals, 1 terminal will have about 4 wires going to it(i think 2 red, pink, battery cable...) the other terminal with have a dark purple wire going to it by itself. That purple wire is the starter activation wire, and it is attached the the starter solenoid (on the starter) with a 8 or 9 mm nut. To make a seperate push button starter switch, remove that wire and tape it off securely, you will not be using it anymore and you dont want it bare and able to touch any grounded metal. Now, run at least a 12 or 14 gauge wire(again to be on the safe side) to that terminal and reattach it with the nut. run that new wire through the engien compartment(keeping it clear of hot or moving engine parts) and run it into the passenger compartment through the firewall(easiest would be the drivers side through an available grommet(you wouldnt need to do this step if you spliced the wire inder the dash) Once the wire is inside the car, you would want to connect it to another high quality pushbuttom switch(at least 30amp rating as well to be safe) Connect the other terminal on the switch to the fuse box under the dash with a blade connector into a terminal marked IGN, with that done, you now have a pushbutton starter and the key will ONLY activate the "run" position for all power on, turning the key to start will NOT engage the starter anymore. (You can also install a ford style remote starter solenoid, the same basic idea, just involves moving the starter wires away from the starter itself and running a single batteray cable to the starter with a custom jumper between the 2 terminals, i'll explain that more in a email in interested)

Other people may say there are other way to do these wirings, but these are the safest from my experiences and I would never wire my cars differently. Ive wired up many vehicle with all sorts of electronics, switches, stand alone FI systems, and custom chassis harnesses and I am 100% confident with my methods. If you have any specific questions or concerns email me directly at Smokingss@aol.com.
V is offline   Reply With Quote