View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Jim-

Are you sure that the body is properly aligned? And is it possible (yes, this is a wild ass guess) that the "gashes" are actually tears in the metal?

PS: PB when you need to spray, Kroil when you can easily apply without a propellant
no, i am not sure about the body alignment. i think i remember the passenger door closing and sealing with no problems, but i can't be sure since i never rode as a passenger in the car. so, i guess i am going to have to put it on a table and check it. thank the gods i still have contacts in the bizness. i am trying to get back in as an intern at the shop where i previously had that type of arrangement. they are jammed up right now, but hopefully i can get the body there quickly and at least determine if it's worth saving. now would be the time, before i invest anymore time/effort in the thing.

and, no, the gashes were definitely not caused by the accident. they used a plasma torch to cut the floor. the paint is burned back about two inches, and that's the typical footprint of a plasma torch. where they cut the floor is rusted, as you can imagine. so it'll take some working to get the cross-member straightened and the floor flat again. it's thankfully one of the things i learned in vo-tech, so i know how to get it done. the problem is getting it on a flat surface, either a body machine or a table to get it straightened out. the shop where i interned has a body machine with lasers, so i know when (if) i get it there i will be able to straighten it out. but the big question now is CAN it be straightened - with how much effort, or do i junk it and start over with a straight body car...

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote