View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkEvil View Post
Hopefully its not in your head, and you do pick up something. Changing springs is a hell of a maintenance to gain nothing.

I swapped my springs when I put in my cam, but I had the luxury of doing them with the heads off. Also, my first time and I used the same crane tool you did. I had problems with the locks staying jammed inside the retainers even after I compressed the stock springs. I dont think I would have had the patience to do them on car...goodluck with the back end of the passenger side.

About how long did it take you to do the one head?
Changing springs might be a lot maintenance, but a dropped valve is a whole lot more. I actually doubt most people keep their car (dedicated track cars excluded) long enough to wear the valve springs out, but definitley something to be aware of if you are running a bigger cam and or the car sees lots of extended rpm.

I only did the #7 cylinder. I'll do the rest today. The one cylinder took me a couple hours, but that was me screwing around setting up everything etc. I'll post up how long it takes once I get the hang of it. I whacked the top of the retainers with a mallet and socket before using the tool, just to help free up the keepers a little.

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 06-12-2010 at 12:38 PM.
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote