Thread: VIN Check
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
iroc86NJ

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
i wouldnt trust it for anything more then accident/damage reports. when a car is stolen in a major city like nyc, theres so many ways it can slip thru the cracks as being listed as stolen, if it was never removed from the system when returned to the owner and so forth.
I don't want to give too many details since this could be a very large case for the NYPD Auto Task Force......but the car has been listed as stolen for many many months.......and its from Texas....and it was one of many stolen at the same time....think car carrier...The NYPD did state to my friend that the scam he fell for seems to be orchestrated by "Organized" individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
Yes, as stated earlier in the thread, don't assume that no news is good news. No where is it advertised as a catch all - they can only show what has been properly reported as stolen, and I'm sure some of those fall through the cracks as well. But if you are looking at a car, it certainly doesn't hurt to run the VIN and see if it does come up - would save you a lot of headaches for later.

On a side note - I hope your buddy didn't have knowledge of a "second VIN" before he bought this car. Anything like that just screams trouble to me.

- Justin
He did not. I agree. This was the first car he has ever purchased (he is not a young guy just your typical Manhattan resident who doesn't need a car) and had no idea what to look for. Regrettably I couldn't come out to help him.
iroc86NJ is offline   Reply With Quote